Law Offices of Suzanne L Capriotti, LLC
Phones answered 24 hours (240) 720-7714

green cards Archives

How long can you be outside the country and keep your green card?

You've gone through the long, often-frustrating process of getting a green card. Perhaps you plan to become a U.S. citizen one day. Maybe you just want to be able to live and work in this country for the foreseeable future. Either way, your green card status is valuable, and you don't want to do anything to risk losing it.

New rules could lead to deportation for some green card holders

We've recently discussed how, under the current administration, a person's immigration status — even if they're a naturalized citizen — may not be as secure as they believed. This includes people who have received legal residence permits, i.e., green cards.

Can I get a mortgage if I'm not a U.S. citizen?

Homeownership is part of the American dream -- whether you were born here or moved here from somewhere else. You don't have to be a U.S. citizen to own a home in this country. However, if you need a mortgage to be able to afford a home -- as most of us do -- it's important to understand how your immigration status comes into play.

Spouses of H-1B visa holders may soon lose their right to work

Among the overhauls to America's immigration policies being pursued by the Trump Administration are changes impacting recipients of H-1B visas. This visa is an important step toward a green card for many people. Despite the anti-immigration rhetoric coming from Washington, H-1B visa applications continue to pour in. This is the sixth year in a row that the government had to stop accepting applications after a week because of the volume.

How can someone qualify for an 'Einstein visa?'

Some of our readers may have seen the recent media reports that First Lady Melania Trump was granted what's commonly referred to as an "Einstein visa" years ago. The official name of the visa is EB-1. It's purpose is to allow immigrants who "have an extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher or are a multinational executive or manager" to live and work in the country legally.

Seeking green card status as a widow/widower of a U.S. citizen

There is much debate in the corridors of power in Washington these days about the legal status of people who live in this country but weren't born here. Therefore, it's only natural that many immigrants as well as those who seek to live in this country are nervous and confused.

Trump makes getting a green card just a little bit more difficult

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officials, under direction of President Donald Trump, announced on December 18 their intentions to update an aspect of the green card application process. They will discontinue honoring congressional appeals for green cards as they've historically been accepted in the past.


The Law Offices of Suzanne L Capriotti, LLC
13-15 E. Deer Park Dr.
Suite 201
Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Phone: 240-720-7714
Phone: 301-802-1255
Fax: 301-519-8173
Map & Directions